THE FRIENDS SERVE AS AN ADVISORY GROUP FOR THE MUSEUM
The Friends of Pueblo Grande Museum (formerly the The Pueblo Grande Museum Auxiliary) was incorporated in February 1981 to serve as an advisory group for the Museum. The purpose of the organization is to assist Pueblo Grande Museum and staff in dispersing educational materials; to provide lecturers and tour guides; to assist in the preparation of exhibits, library cataloging and management, collection management, curatorial and conservation techniques, records management and research; and to organize, publicize and promote activities, events and fund raising for the Pueblo Grande Museum and Archaeological Park.
The organization and its members may inform the Parks, Recreation and Library Board and the City Council of the city of Phoenix, Arizona on matters relating to Archaeology and the Pueblo Grande Museum Archaeological Park. The Friends also operate the Museum store. The store offers a variety of southwestern arts and crafts and an extensive book collection, providing a valuable resource to the community and a significant source of revenue for the Museum.
QUICK FACTS ABOUT PUEBLO GRANDE
- Pueblo Grande Museum consist of two-thirds of a mile of interpretive trail which travels around the remains of the prehistoric Hohokam people’s ballcourt and platform.
- The Museum opened in 1929 and has been in continuous operation for over 90 years.
- Phoenix was the first city in the nation to hire a City Archeologist for the Pueblo Grande Museum.
- Pueblo Grande is Spanish for Large Town.
- Pueblo Grand appears to have been settled sometime before A.D. 500 and was abandoned around 1450 for reasons not quite known.
- The Pueblo Grande Museum is one of 31 favorite locations designated as Points of Pride by the city. They are unique locations found within Phoenix city limits and contribute to the quality of life in the Valley.
- Average monthly visitors per year: 1,853.
- The Indian Market has been in existence since 1976 and is managed by volunteers of the Friends of Pueblo Grande Museum.
Store Committee Chair
Indian Market Committee Chair firstname.lastname@example.org
B. Sunday Eiselt
Board Development Committee Chair email@example.com
Board Member at Large
get involved and
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
2022 | Friends of Pueblo Grande Museum (FOPGM) | All Rights Reserved
FOPGM is a 501c3 non-profit organization (EIN 860405182)